Ron Paul is shutting down all operations in upcoming primary states, dramatically scaling back his campaign due to a lack of resources.
“We will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted,” Paul wrote in an e-mail to supporters Monday. “Doing so with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have. I encourage all supporters of Liberty to make sure you get to the polls and make your voices heard, particularly in the local, state, and Congressional elections, where so many defenders of Freedom are fighting and need your support.”
The announcement comes as Paul supporters are engaged in an active — and increasingly contentious — effort take over delegate slates in states that have already voted. Paul said that the practice would continue even as he abandons hope of competing in major upcoming primaries, like his home state of Texas, that supporters had previously played up as crucial to his campaign.
“Our campaign will continue to work in the state convention process,” Paul wrote. “We will continue to take leadership positions, win delegates, and carry a strong message to the Republican National Convention that Liberty is the way of the future.”
Paul has yet to make clear what he plans to do with his delegates at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, and activists planning on attending have expressed differing views and sometimes confusion as to what their goals will be heading into the event.
Signing off his message, “For Liberty,” Paul said he will “lay out to you our delegate strategy and what you can do to help, so please stay tuned.”
Benjy Sarlin is a reporter for Talking Points Memo and co-writes the campaign blog, TPM2012. He previously reported for The Daily Beast/Newsweek as their Washington Correspondent and covered local politics for the New York Sun.